Things you can do here
There are lots of things that you can do when on holiday at the Retreat.
- Nature walks: You can enjoy nature walks through our lakeland estate, formerly a British tea plantation. Wildlife abounds amidst the luscious green pine and oak hillsides and throughout the valleys of the estate.
- Picnic and swimming: Take a walk to Panna Tal which is a 30 to 40 minute walk away. Once there enjoy a picnic lunch (barbecue optional) on the lake shore and take a swim if in the mood. Walk, or drive back in a hired taxi, stopping along the way at Nal-Damyanti Tal to feed the sacred Mahseer fish and to visit the temple with its ancient idol that was excavated from the lake bed. Also have a look at the 100-year-old water-driven flour mill.
- Hike through the forested hills of the estate to the cliffs of nearby Surya Gaon. There is a possibility of spotting Ghoral, Serow, Sambhar, Muntjac (Barking Deer) and numerous bird species while on the walk.
- Birdwatchers will enjoy a stay here as the entire area, being well-forested, has approximately 150 bird species right at the Retreat as well as on all the walks around.
- A full-day hike to the top of Karkotak Hill which has a view of Nanda Devi. Picnic on the peak and come back to a cosy tea.
- Pick tea from Orange Pekoe tea bushes, planted by the British in the 1850s, from our estate forest. The tea bushes flourish among the oak trees that have been allowed to grow around them.
- Visit a village on the estate with a village guide (or a family member) and have a pahari meal in a village home, if you like.
- In the evenings sit around a campfire and have a barbecue to wind down the day.
- If you are a keen angler, fishing permits can be arranged to allow you to indulge in your pastime.
- The weather permitting you could also go paragliding nearby.
- The surrounding lakes also offer kayaking and boating.
We also offer cooking classes to those who may be interested. Contact us for details.
- Nearby trips include Nainital or the sloping orchards of Ramgarh and Ranikhet, where one can see the beautiful icy peaks of Badrinath, Trisul and Nanda Devi.
- Uttarakhand is also referred to as ‘Dev Bhoomi’ which means the Land of the Gods. If spiritually inclined you can visit Chota Kailash, Mukteshwar Dham, and Naina Devi Temple.
- Day trips can be arranged to most places in the area – Nainital, Pangot, Almora, Ranikhet, Mukteshwar, Jageshwar, Corbett National Park and more.
If none of the above appeal to you then just relax at the Retreat and recharge your batteries on fresh air, great food and an absolute relaxed atmosphere.
Trekking, hiking, mountaineering
Here’s the chance to go for that trek you have been dreaming about. We organise and conduct guided walking holidays ranging from one-day hikes or two-to-three day treks locally in the hills and forests around the Retreat, to longer one-to-two-week-long high-altitude treks, to mountaineering expeditions.
Please contact us for more information.